We felt ourselves to be in such good hands every step of the way. What supportive, sensational and just plain lovely people you all are. Thank you for making such as huge difference for us during such an important time.
Doula care: Your Guide to a Better Birth
It’s well documented that there is a disconnect between what women want, what research shows are the best practices, and the direction maternity care is moving towards. Avoiding an unnecessary cesarean or other interventions, having a good partnership with the health care team, and allowing a normal labor pattern to unfold without interference is a challenge for most women in the United States.
Your doula can support your journey by nurturing your confidence, cultivating trust in the process and serving as an ongoing resource to help you sort through your options. She meets these needs and more:
- comfort measures for pregnancy, birth and postpartum
- feeling prepared for the wide variety of normal labor patterns
- support at home and guidance for when to move to your birth facility
- what to expect and how to optimize comfort in your chosen birth facility
- how to best communicate your wishes to your health care providers
- demystifying decision-making when interventions are suggested
- evidence-based resources to help you feel informed
- avoiding unnecessarily being rushed through labor
- optimizing normal progress with ‘childbirth wisdom’
We know that ‘left brain’ information collecting needs to be balanced with ‘right brain’ comfort, emotional security, and the safety to feel vulnerable, powerful, and everything in between.
We also know that partners have their own needs for preparation, including building trust in a new and unfamiliar process, having the opportunity to be heard and supported and relieving them of being the ‘expert’ or ‘coach’ that is supposed to guide a process they are encountering for the first time. With a doula present, couples can prepare effectively and on the birth day focus on each other and welcoming their baby, with confidence, joy, and trust.